Have you written something, such as a work of fiction or a book on a topic that interests you and others, and would like to get it published so you can see your name in the periodicals and make yourself wealthy? Getting published is like getting onto a game show: There are many thousands of other people trying to get in to. How do you stand out? Here are ten steps to increase your chances:
(1) Answer basic questions. What genre is this work in? What are the age range and demographics of the intended audience?
(2) Look online or in a book like “Writer’s Digest” for a company whose published works fit your criteria.
(3) Write up a manuscript of your work. Make sure it looks attractive.
(4) Find the company’s submission policy. Some companies will not accept unsolicited manuscripts.
(5) Write a query letter.
(6) If necessary, write a book proposal.
(7) Give a summary of your book.
(8) Make sure spelling and grammar are correct throughout your writing.
(9) If the book is to have broad national appeal, try and find an agent.
(10) Send the above documents to the publisher, along with a self- addressed stamped